- A new £500,000 community fund for local groups to raise awareness of the Windrush Schemes and support those wishing to claim compensation;
- an advertising campaign to promote the Schemes; and
- an expanded cross-Government Windrush action to develop programmes to improve the lives of those affected.
MJR's initial response to the report and what action should now be taken is to:
- Accept the report and promise to implement its recommendations in full.
- Ensure the immediate needs of those affected is attended to so that further hardship is avoided.
- Distinguish between undocumented (a small minority) and documented (a significant majority) Windrush Generation to avoid infantilising the whole group; and give credit for community agency, without which the numbers of victims would be much higher.
- Repeal legislations that compound compliant/hostile environment.
- Extend the window to apply to the compensation scheme.
- Ask if offering more money as the Home Secretary did today without making tangible steps to repair, may be seen as further sop and obfuscation.